Thursday 7 April 2016

French Verb of Day.6 of Blogging A to Z Challenge - Faire!

Salut mes amis!




The verb of the day is Faire





I am writing this post in the same format as the first post of this challenge. Again, if you find any correction, please do not hesitate to point out. I am a French language learner, not a teacher. I'd appreciate the courteous and constructive feedback." I have divided the post into these main sections:
  • Pronunciation Link
  • Meaning of this Verb
  • Conjugation of the verb in different tenses and moods
  • Let's write a little French with this verb
  • Commonly used phrases with this verb
  • Proverb with this verb
  • Appearance of this verb in any song or textbook
Now, let's work with the verb "Faire."

Pronunciation Link

To know the correct pronunciation of this verb, click here.


Meaning of the Verb

The meaning of the verb "faire" is "make, do." Doing something is an essential part of our daily lives, which inspired me to select this very important verb. 

Conjugation of this verb in various tenses and moods
1. Indicatif – Generally, Indicatif is used to state facts.
    1. Présent – It is similar to Present tense of English. We use this form to express facts, conditions, habits, and routine. 
The sample sentences, as per my knowledge, could be:
I write whenever I can.
You don't like drama.
We love reading books.
They have money, but they do not have a heart.
Je fais
(Subject) make(s) /do(es) or is/are/am making (doing)
Tu fais
Il fait
Nous faisons
Vous faites
Ils font
    1. Passé Composé – It resonates with Present Perfect and Past forms of English language. This form is utilized to a talk about the actions that were completed in the past, and we wish to draw the attention towards its results.
I went to get a manicure in the morning.
He did not go to the office today.
I did not have the courage at that moment.
J’ai fait
(Subject) did/made(once), I have maken/done
Tu as fait
Il a fait
Nous avons fait
Vous avez fait
Ils ont fait
    1. Imparfait – Imparfait form is used to write about description, habit, and actions that occurred simultaneously in the past.
It was a beautiful day.
He was having a rough day.
I used to ride a bicycle in the rain.
Je faisais
(Subject) was making(doing)/ used to make(do)
Tu faisais
Il faisait
Nous faisions
Vous faisiez
Ils faisaient
    1. Plus-que-parfait – This is the French version of “Past perfect” of English language. If you are narrating an incident that occurred in the past, and I you wish to include a detail that happened even before the time of that incident, you use plus-que-parfait form.
I had studied a lot before I could get a job.
He had practiced his speech in front of the mirror before he went in front of a huge audience.
J’avais fait
(Subject) had maken/done
Tu avais fait
Il avait fait
Nous avions fait
Vous aviez fait
Ils avaient fait
    1. Passé simple – Similar to Passé Composé, Passé simple is used to describe completed actions in the past and the actions that were interrupted in the past. Being same as Passé Composé, its examples are similar to Passé Composé.
Last year, I went to Bali.
While I was in Bali, I admired nature for hours.
Je fis
(Subject) made/did
Tu fis
Il fit
Nous fîmes
Vous fîtes
Ils firent
    1. Passé antérieur – This is same as Past Perfect of English language. This form is mostly used in literature.
As soon as I was in the library, I decided to issue the book “Pride and Prejudice.”
After my grandfather had worked for sixty years, he started gardening.
J’eus fait
(Subject) had maken
Tu eus fait
Il eut fait
Nous eûmes fait
Vous eûtes fait
Ils eurent fait
    1. Futur – Futur is same as Future tense of English language. This form comes into picture when we are either expressing an intended action in the future or making an assumption in both present and future. Also, it may be used to make a polite request.
Tomorrow, I will write a song.
You will never write a song.
Would Irine help me with the song?
If you ask her, you will know.
Je ferai
(Subject) will make(do)
Tu feras
Il fera
Nous ferons
Vous ferez
Ils feront
    1. Futur antérieur – Remember future perfect tense? Futur antérieur is its brother :) When you are imagining or considering something to happen in the future or something that might have happened in the past, you use this form.
He'll probably have had three boxes of cereal or he had drank three cartons of milk. (I know it's a stupid sentence, but I couldn't think of something else.)
By the time we'll reach, they will have hidden the evidence. (Crime investigation drama kicking in!)
J’aurai fait
(Subject) will have done/made
Tu auras fait
Il aura fait
Nous aurons fait
Vous aurez fait
Ils auront fait
    1. Future proche – Future Proche form is used to describe an event or action that is either definite to occur in a short while or planned to happen in the future.
I am going to get a laptop in two minutes. (I'm not :( )
My sister is getting ready in a minute.
Je vais écrire
(Subject) is/are/am making(doing)/about to make(done)
Tu vas écrire
Il va écrire
Nous allons écrire
Vous allez écrire
Ils vont écrire
    1. Conditionnel – This mood is used to express statements of possibility and condition.
      1. Présent – If we wish to express a possibility about present or future from a past point of view, then this would be my choice of sentence form.
I would like to be an author, someday.
Drashti thought that she might go on a vacation to Paris.
If she went to Paris, she could become a model.
Arun, could you stop teasing me?
Je ferais
(Subject) would make(do)
Tu ferais
Il ferait
Nous ferions
Vous feriez
Ils feraient
    1. Passé – Imagine that you are telling about an incident that happened in the past, where you expressed a possibility, then this is the form you need to be using. Of course, it is confusing, but don't worry. Hopefully, sample sentences will help in making it understandable.
If I had gone with you, I would have scolded him.
My grandfather would have sorted our problems if we had asked him.
*Tip – Use Conditionnel Passé in that part of the sentence that indicates a result of the action.
J’aurais fait
(Subject) would have maken(done)
Tu aurais fait
Il aurait fait
Nous aurions fait
Vous auriez fait
Ils auraient fait
    1. Passé - forme alternative – This form is used in literary formats of writing. Not my cup of tea! The same thought can be expressed by using above form.
J’eusse fait
(Subject) would have make or done
Tu eusses fait
Il eût fait
Nous eussions fait
Vous eussiez fait
Ils eussent fait
    1. Subjonctif – This mood of expressions focuses on various emotions, such as doubt, a fear, subjectivity, hope.
      1. Présent the – If the main part of the sentence is in present form, then the part after que, expressing emotions, will be in subjonctif présent form. Confused? Well, hopefully, sample sentences will clear the air.
It is important to me that my family eats dinner together.
I am happy that my readers like my blog.
que je fasse
that (Subject) makes(s)(do(es)) or is/are/am writing
que tu fasses
qu’il fasse
que nous fassions
que vous fassiez
qu’ils fassent
    1. Imparfait –If the main part of the sentence is in past form, then the part after que, expressing emotions, will be in subjonctif imparfait form. However, this form is used in literary docs. For ordinary usage, subjonctif passé is our guy.
que je fisse
that (Subject) made (did) or that (Subject) was/were making(doing)
que tu fisses
qu’il fît
que nous fissions
que vous fissiez
qu’ils fissent
    1. Plus-que-parfait – Again, this form is also used in literary documents.
que j’ eusse fait
(Subject) would make/made
que tu eusses fait
qu’il eût fait
que nous eussions fait
que vous eussiez fait
qu’ils eussent fait
    1. Passé – If main part of the sentence is in past form, then the part after que, expressing emotions, will be in subjonctif passé form. Other than this, if we are expressing emotions about somebody's past, then too, we use this form.
I had wished that he would succeed in his hunt for a decent job.
He is afraid that he received love from everybody only for his money.
que j’aie fait
that (Subject) made(did) or that (Subject) was making(doing)
que tu aies fait
qu’il ait fait
que nous ayons fait
que vous ayez fait
qu’ils aient fait
    1. Impératif – This mood is utilized to give orders.
      1. Présent – There is nothing to explain here. This form is utilized in giving orders.
Take me to the mall!
Drive me to the airport!
Sit with me!
Don't talk to me!
fais
Make! (Do!)
faisons
Let's make (do)!
faites
Make (Do)!
Let's Write a little French with this Verb

Indicatif

Présent

I am doing something.
Je fais quelque chose.

Passé Composé 

I did swimming for one day.
J’ai fait de la natation pour une  journée.

Imparfait 

I used to go for jogging.
Je faisais du jogging.

Futur

I will be making an apple pie.
Je ferai une tarte aux pommes.

Conditionnel 

If I could do anything, I would make everybody happy.
Si je pouvais faire quelque chose, je ferais tout le monde heureux.

Subjonctif 

I am happy that I do not cook food.
Je suis content que je ne fasse pas cuire la nourriture.

Impératif

Do it!
Fais le!

Commonly used phrases with this verb

Some of the examples with this verb are:
  1. faire une petite toilette - frehsen up
  2. faire une ronde - patrol
  3. se fair avoir - fall for
  4. se faire bronzer - sunbathe
  5. se faire saquer - be fired
Proverbs using this verb

When I revealed my theme for this challenge, most of the comments marvelled on the fact that my idea would kill two birds with one stone. Now, if I wanted to express the same proverb in french, then I would say,
"faire d'une pierre deux coup."
Appearance of this verb in any song or famous textbook 

Alizée's Gourmandises song includes the verb "faire." Click here to check out the video of this song.

Quand tu penses à moi
Toi le loup des steppes
Tout au fond de toi
Ressens-tu l'ivresse
J'ai si faim de toi
Tu le dis sans cesse
Et prendre soin de moi
Dis-moi si ça blesse
Oh loup y'es tu pour moi
Tu fais la promesse
Et si je m'offre à toi
C'est en milliers, baissers de tendresse

[Chorus:]
Y'a les baisers
Les premiers
Goût d'embruns
Goût de spleen
Y'a les baisés volés
Dans des trains de tsarines
Les baisés d'un été
Où la main s'achemine
Mais les baisés d'Alizée
Sont de vraies gourmandises

Quand je pense à toi
Toi le loup des steppes
Je n'ai pas peur de toi
Est-ce que ça t'opresse
Prends ce chemin là
Tu le dis sans cesse
Oh! Couche toi près de moi
Et dévore moi des yeux,
ta princesse

[Chorus]
Oh, Loup y es-tu? (x7)
[Chorus]





2 comments:

  1. This must take you forever to do, however I found it a good review of French classes taken many years ago. You rock.
    Suz from Stormy’s Sidekicks!
    Suzi's Ice Box Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's been a lot of work, but getting the recognition from the community of talented Bloggers and loyal readers keeps me going :) Thanks for your lovely words, Suz!

      Delete